Nicholas Brake, Ph. D.
450 Griffith Ave., Owensboro, KY 42301
Dr. Nick Brake, a native of the Cincinnati area, is the Superintendent of the Owensboro Public Schools. Located in northwestern Kentucky, the district is the largest independent district in the state. The district serves an urban population with an enrollment of approximately 5,000 students in preschool through 12th grade at 10 school sites employing a staff of 850 and an annual budget of $60 million. OPS is one of seven Districts of Innovation given the freedom by the Kentucky Department of Education to redesign student learning in an effort to engage and motivate more students for college and career readiness. The district has been recognized with the Magna Award from the National School Boards Association and as a “District of Distinction” by District Administration Magazine.
Dr. Brake’s 24-year career has been dedicated to educational leadership and community development. He taught history and government at the high school and college levels and held administrative leadership positions at the high school, community college, and school district levels. Additionally he spent seven years in community leadership as President of the Greater Owensboro Economic Development Corporation. Dr. Brake is a graduate of the Superintendent Institute at the Harvard Graduate School of Education. He holds a Ph.D. in Education Administration and Public Policy from the University of Louisville. His bachelors and masters degrees are both in history. He serves as a graduate lecturer in education administration, policy, and public administration at Western Kentucky University.
Administrative Leadership Positions
· Superintendent, Owensboro Public Schools (2013-present)
· President/CEO, Greater Owensboro Economic Development Corp. (2006-2013)
· Dean & Vice President, Owensboro Community and Technical College (2002-2006)
· Director of Assessment, Research, Curriculum, Daviess County Public Schools (1998-2002)
· Academic Dean, Daviess County High School (1996-1998)
· Western Kentucky University, Graduate Lecturer, Education Leadership & Public Administration
· Western Kentucky University, Adjunct Professor, History
· Owensboro Community and Technical College, Associate Professor, History
· Daviess County High School, History and Government
· Superintendent Leadership Institute, Harvard Graduate School of Education
· Ph.D. University of Louisville, Education Administration and Policy
· M.A. Western Kentucky University, History
· B.A. Northern Kentucky University, History and Secondary Education
LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/in/nicholasbrake