Music is the expression of ideas and feelings through sound.
- Styles - blues, spirituals, popular, rock, rap, country, games songs, work songs, folk songs, lullabies, marches, patriotic, bluegrass
- Cultures - Native American, West African, American Folk
ELEMENTS OF MUSIC
- Rhythm - Patterns made by arranging long and short sounds. Time (meter signature) 2/4, 3/4, 4/4, bar lines, fermata.
- Harmony - Two or more tones sounding at the same time. Parts, intervals, tonality (major, resting "home" tone)
- Melody - A single line of tones that move upward, downward or repeat. UNISON - singing or playing the same pitch.
- Form - The organizational structure of music, AB, ABA, round, verse/chorus, call & response, repeat signs.
- Dynamics - The loudness (forte) and softness (piano) of music, medium loud (mezzo forte), medium soft (mezzo piano)
- Timbre - (tone color) The unique sound of voices or instruments.
- Tempo - The speed of the beat. (fast or slow).
Periods of Music
- Medieval: 600-1450
- Renaissance: 1450-1600
- Baroque: 1600-1750
- Classical: 1750 - 1825
- Romantic: 1825-1900